Thursday, January 12, 2012

Escaping O-town to the Scandinavian frozen gloom


Getting there- a series of unfortunate events! 
All ready, packed, and ready to hit the road or better yet, hit the sky channels of air travel haha. There I was with hundreds of thoughts, mixed emotions, just having gotten back from a 3 or so week from SE Asia, had the Thai Tummy (Like Bali Beli- Stomach Bug), and was leaving my gf behind for 5 months seemingly something a lot of us encounter when leaving for study abroad. 
Anyway I checked in handed my documents over and as time was clicking on, I realized it was taking forever and anxiety also set in (I was already running late as the typical Mexican I am). Well, so it happened that United was unable to let me board because I did not have a Visa. (More detailed explanation of Sweden migration services). Well, finally the witch of a lady came over saying "here are you boarding passes, you might be deported." Amidst all the other emotions I wanted to...hurt this lady! So off I was running late to my gate and was the last one to board my airplane.

  I was finally airborne, but had two connections one still inside the US in D.C. (IAD Airport) and then in Brussels, Belgium. Getting to Washington was fine, but then the bad luck crept in for what would last till my first night in my new apartment. I tend to write essays so to shorten it here's the essence of the story: 
Our flight was delayed two hours in Washington due to inclement weather (and this was time on the plane), I landed in Brussels with 15 minutes to get to my connecting flight to Gothenburg...obviously having to go through customs and miles of walking (the airport is poorly built for transfers) I never made it and had to go out through security to deal with United and get re-booked. I ended up flying to Copenhagen, Denmark and then finally Gothenburg, Sweden at around 3pm 4 hours later than I should have arrived. Turns out I happily find my first bag, but the second one with all my clothes and important items never showed up. 


Yes! I had finally arrived to Sweden, but with only one bag of two I had brought. I waited and no whereabouts were know so I decided to take a bus to Jönköping only to miss the bus (they are literal on the time of departure and if they don't see you at the stop they will just keep driving and won't stop). So there I was again with all my bad luck, I had to by another ticket for the morning bus and slept the night at the airport.

Fortunately, this bag had my comforter that I used as my pillow and quickly I passed out. I sure am glad I am a sound sleeper, but in a dangerous airport who knows what could’ve happened. I was woken up when two ladies from the airport staff came in and lying their with my comforter (if I didn’t have clothes, at least I’m glad I was left with my comforter haha) like a hobo, I felt embarrassed and I half asleep murmured that I was sorry. I really didn’t feel all that tired and from the embarrassment I presume I just wasn’t going to be able to fall back asleep. I got up, composed myself, made sure I didn’t look despicable and marched on to baggage claim, determined to leave Gothenburg with my second bag. Unfortunately for me, I was once again disappointed of news that there were no known whereabouts of my bag. All I could do was suck it up, leave for Jonkoping and hope they’ll ship it soon.
I proceeded to buy my ticket for 10 Swedish Kronas cheaper (at least one thing went my way) and was forced to buy some type of aliment. Having been at the airport it would of course be expensive but I had to bite the bullet. I bought 2 waters for a deal of 2 for 30 SEK usually sold individually for 23 SEK and two bananas for 12 SEK (2 freakin bananas for $1.84 is ridiculous!!). I then headed with my one bag and two bananas for the day to the obscure bus stop...I was not going to miss this bus (make sure you show up at least 10 mins before). More on buses and transportation 

The bus to Jönköping was about 2 hours direct, but I don't know why all the direct buses have stops in several places anyway. I won't go into specifics on how I arrived to the school and where to go once there (my other blog serves those purposes). However, once I got there, the coordinator for international students, specifically engineering students, and I immediately clicked. It seemed as my luck was finally turning in my favor. She offered to take me to my apartment; she took me to get a bus card (Jönköping Bus Card Info), a new phone (Info on Phones abroad),  and finally to my apartment. Long-story-short we found out that my bag was indeed found and it was going to be arriving around 7pm. I waited, waited, and I finally received my baby with all my clothes, toiletries, not much of anything but still imagine the hassle of buying all those new things. Headed back to my apartment and first thing I do is plug in power cord...of course this was the only thing I hadn't checked to see if it had an internal voltage converter. Turns out it didn't and I burnt the fuse hahaha. Fortunately, my roommate helped me changed the fuse and everything was back to normal. 
I could finally rest at peace that no more unprecedented trouble was coming. I just headed to Willy's (Grocery Shopping in Sweden) for some basic groceries (thank God they had peanut butter :) and met up with some friends I had made earlier that all knew each other from Mexico city. After the 48 hour series of unfortunate events I slept warm and cozy in my new 5 month temporary home.












No comments:

Post a Comment